here’s my whack at the 2004 survey being passed around…
1. What did you do in 2004 that you’d never done before? hypnotized someone.
2. Did you keep your new years’ resolutions, and will you make more for next year? i refused to make any because I never stick to them so why go through the effort of creating an illusion that will disappear once the smoke and mirrors have cleared. no.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth? yes quite a few friends did.
4. Did anyone close to you die? my mother’s sister.
5. What countries did you visit? France, Spain, Turkey, Denmark, Sweden, Scotland, Wales.
6. What would you like to have in 2005 that you lacked in 2004? some of my work published in mainstream media.
7. What date from 2004 will remain etched upon your memory? 31 Aug
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year? breaking free from the corporate salt mines
9. What was your biggest failure? choice
10. Did you suffer illness or injury? no
11. What was the best thing you bought? one of those tiny 256mb mp3 players
12. Whose behavior merited celebration? mine
13. Whose behavior made you mad and ill willed? mine
14. Where did most of your money go? books, bills and gadgets
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about? Istanbul
16. What song will always remind you of 2004? i’ve been recycling to many old tunes
17. Compared to this time last year, are you: happier or sadder? they’re two sides of the same coin; can’t have one without the other
18. What do you wish you’d done more of? writing stuff that matters
19. What do you wish you’d done less of? standing still
20. How will you be spending Christmas? with family
21. How will you be spending New Years? with friends
22. Did you fall in love in 2004? i’m in a perpetual state of love
24. What was your favorite TV program? the new battlestar galactica series on Sky
25. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year? not in my nature to hate
26. What was the best book you read? The Alchemist if you haven’t read it, then do
27. What was your greatest musical discovery? Slowjet
28. What did you want and got? life
30. What was your favorite film of this year? lost in translation
31. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you? drove back to England from France 700+ miles
32. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying? leading an expedition through a remote jungle
33. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2004? non existent
34. What kept you sane? nothing; i’m as nutty as a fruitcake
35. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most? Saba Douglas-Hamiliton
36. Did you watch the debates? from afar
37. What did you miss? close friends, like in my army days, real brothers-in-arms
38. Who was the best new person you met? Elaine T.
39. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2004? Live every day like it was your last because you never know when it will be (one minute you’re sunny yourself on the beach, the next the waves of life are crashing down on you)…also I’ve come to accept that it’s not a tragedy to die doing something you love…
40. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year? I’m breaking through/ I’m bending spoons/I’m keeping flowers in full bloom/I’m looking for answers from the great beyond R.E.M.